The War Memorial
In 2016 the Midhurst War Memorial which is maintained by the Midhurst Town Trust, was selected to be given ‘Listed Building Status’ as part of Historic England’s response to the centenary of the First World War.
More details can be found on the Historic England website:
The War Memorial, to commemorate those lost in the 1914-18 War, was dedicated at a service held on 6th May 1923 and was entrusted to the care of the Town Trust. It was formally resolved by the Trustees that management of the Memorial be accepted.
Although one would think that damage by vehicles would be a modern problem, the first problems were noted in the Minutes of the meeting held in September 1929. Cobbles had been damaged and H C Dean, a local contractor was asked for an estimate to repave the edges and install oak posts and chains. This proved too costly and a further attempt to alter the memorial and reduce the cobbled area was made in 1931 however there were problems with who actually owned the area surrounding the square.
In April 1947 the Clerk was asked to obtain a list of those killed in the 1939-45 War and get a price from a Mr Oliver to fix a tablet to the War Memorial. Nearly two years later this was still under discussion. Over the next few years the installation of chains and railings was discussed again and still not agreed. It was not until the meeting in December 1960 that it was agreed to add the panels in remembrance of those killed in the 1939-45 War. However, subscriptions were required and a sub-committee was set up to complete the task in June 1962.
On a separate note included in the Minute Book, the following was recorded:
“On June 23rd 1927 at the Town Hall, Midhurst, at Petty Sessions, Charles Cassell, employed at Portsmouth Dockyard, was convicted of wilful damage on June 11th 1927 to the Midhurst War Memorial by throwing an orange against it. Fined £1 Damage, being the cost of cleaning the Memorial, 5/6s costs including Advocates fee, and witnesses £3.11s.6d.”
It is understood that further information concerning the names commemorated on the Memorial can now be accessed via the internet.